Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Manger Avec Moi

Hellllloooo my darlings! I know, I know. It's been waaaaay too long. But I was on vacation for a week (vacay pics to follow), and I had several bracelet orders to fulfill. And now I'm back... isn't that really all that matters? I've been trying to cook a bit more, so I thought I'd jump right in with some tips from your resident gourmet goddess... That's me, in case you missed the memo. Let's dish:

1. Love fresh garlic? I do. I put garlic in everything, and not to keep the vampires away... I just love it. I used to buy the jar of minced garlic, but then noticed that the cloves themselves are so much cheaper. But peeling and mincing every time you want to cook something is SO annoying! Well, I have the perfect solution for you. You'll need a food processor or chopper, but it's a cinch, and keeps ready-to-use fresh garlic at your fingertips. Buy several cloves of garlic, peel them all at once, throw them into the food processor, and chop to the desired consistency. When done, scoop all of the minced garlic into a freezer bag, and run your hand over it to flatten (make sure to get all of the air out). Pop into the freezer, and you're done! Now, anytime you need some fresh garlic (which is almost always for me), all you have to do is break off a chunk, and throw it in the pan! I've been cooking out of the same bag of garlic for at least a month now. Totally worth it, and still cheaper than buying the pre-minced!

2. This tip is for my readers who live in apartments or have limited yard space, but want to have a go at growing their own herbs and veggies. You know those big, multi-purpose plastic bins? They're not just for storing sweaters during the summer! You can use them as your own little garden boxes on balconies or decks, and plant all kinds of goodies to have readily available when you're having a Julia Child moment. Make sure you buy the larger ones that are at least 8-10 inches high, so your plants have room to grow. Also make sure you use a good quality potting soil, plant the seeds no more than 2 inches below the surface, and make sure they get plenty of water and sunlight. We have a patio deck that gets great sun, so I recently started my own little garden. So far, I have scallions, chives, and Italian flat leaf parsley. Basil, cilantro, dill, beefsteak tomatoes and bell peppers are next on my list. This is the perfect planting solution for people with limited space.

Scallions and chives!

3. For those of you who do not have a meat thermometer, here's an easy way to tell if your meat is fully cooked: touch it. Press down on it with your spatula, and see how soft it is. If it is firm and presses back... It's probably done. You don't want to overcook any meat, because overcooking causes meat to dry out. Also, don't forget to rest your meat for at least 5 minutes after cooking! Just remove from the pan, place on a plate, and tent it with some foil. This process allows for the meat to reabsorb all of its yummy natural juices, aka FLAVOR.

 Well, that concludes the tips for the day. Check back soon for more from the REAL Atlanta housewife! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment